Monday, July 29, 2013

WOW... Did I really do that???




I think I'm still in shock that I actually got thru Racine 70.3.

I know I didn't post earlier, and it has been a week since I competed, but I still can't believe that it's done. I can't believe that I finished under my time as well. I thought for sure I would take the whole 8 hrs that I alloted myself, but the fact that I finished in a 7:19:39, I still can't believe it.  Had I not been so concerned with my ankle, which in the end held out but my knee was another story, I probably could've broke a 7:00.  Regardless, for a first 70.3, I am REALLY REALLY HAPPY!!!

Race weekend was tough, and I know I had some obstacles to overcome, but in the end it all came together. 

Friday night was the start of release weekend at work, so here I was having to work late. Thursday before I "worked" form home and tried to get my gear organized, plus the stress of trying to find a bike hitch that would work with my Jeep, it was just too much for me to deal with.  I was lucky that Rich, from the Bike Shop, was able to get me one, and thankfully Stephanie I switched cars with me so that it could get installed on Friday.  With her having my Jeep, they were able to load it up so that Saturday morning was just dropping off dogs, switching cars, getting my bike on the rack and then picking up Stephanie B.  It all worked out in the end, but stress I really really did not need.  Release went easy, granted we had some bumps in the beginning, Steve got online (even thou he wasn't scheduled) and covered for me so I could go to bed, until off-shore got online. He was like "you worked so hard for this, I don't want this release to mess it up for you".  We are finally in sync here in the office and everything eventually works out, so this was really nice.

Saturday went seemless, I did manage to get about 6 hrs sleep. Kids were off to boarding and now it was time to head up with the Stephanies :)  We found our hotel and were able to check in. Then it was off to expo and racking our bikes.  Expo was really dangerous. I kind of went overboard, but I figured, what if I become a one and done with IM's that I never go back. So I got my stuff now :)  We attended the pre-race talk and got the lowdown on stuff, then racked our bikes and went to the beach to just soak our toes.  Stephanie I, Wendy, Frank and myself decided to skip on the Italian team dinner and went to dinner on our own. After dinner we took a soak in the tub and were in bed by 630.  Around 9pm it hit me, that damn little brownie we had for dessert was killing me, TOO MUCH CHOCOLATE. My heart was pounding and I couldn't sleep.

Race morning was here...

OMG I'm so nervous. I couldn't eat anything. I managed to stomach a Stinger Waffle but nothing more.  I setup transition, walked around and was like... WHAT AM I DOING HERE??? A look at the beach and I was even more terrified. The wave were strong and hitting the shore. We were assured that the water was calm after the first turn when we hit the sand bar... Um yeah I don't think so. But we sucked it up and headed to the swim start.  Wendy was the first of the group to go, then me, then after a little time the rest of the group went, one wave after the other. I was glad to be in the water first but sucked I couldn't see everyone else or give hugs before I leap into the wavy water.  The swim was tough... REALLY TOUGH. The wave were really a chore to cut thru that I had to stop on the platform before the first turn so that I can catch my breath.  After the first turn I was just trying to find my pace. It was hard because so many were struggling and I didn't want to swim over people.  After trying to get some distance between me and my wave, I ran into Wendy. I could tell she was struggling, I tried to give her some words of encouragement but I had to keep going.  I felt so bad leaving her behind but I didn't know what else I could do. Luckily there were plenty of bouy's along the course, I was hoping she was using those to stop and get her bearings before moving on.

Once I got out of the swim, and thank you to the man who helped me get my wetsuit off, it was now to the bike. I screwed up with my Garmin, and wasn't sure what my real start time was. At least I was able to keep track of my pace and I was kicking butt. I was topping 17mph, and I was feeling good. Then I realized I wasn't even 20 miles in and I should slow down so I'm not dead by the end.  Overall, I kept a 16.2 mph pace so that was right on with my training. 

Then came the run... oh the run, how I hate you so. My legs felt shot from the ride, well more my quads. I transitioned and was on my way. I saw Lou on my run out as he was racking his bike, then I had Jorge pass me on the run followed later by Lou. While on the course I was then passed by Jose, I saw Dave, Dan, Stephanie B, Stephanie I and Wendy. I was so happy to see Wendy, because I knew then that she didn't give up during the swim.  We would cheer each other on as we passed by, giving high-fives and complaining but pushing thru it.  My calves here tight, my ankle was good, but my knee was not happy. I had to walk much more than I wanted to, but I knew I had a lead on my time since my bike was faster than the 15mph I was predicting. I knew that if I kept it up, I would do it and it wasn't too bad (at least this is what I kept telling myself). By mile 3, my knee was just done. But I wouldn't give up. I came too far to give up now.  Judy was there with the other girls cheering us on, and she ran with me a little, helping get past my mental block. I pushed and pushed and I finally saw the finish... PYSCH!!! I still had to turn and go back out for another loop. Such not a fun thing, so close but yet so far away. On the way back, about mile 12 I see Carla again, cheering me on. I said my legs were hurting and now she ran a bit with me to help me get past it.  Only 1+ mile left to go, I had this and I just had to push thru it. Save a little energy to finish strong and get a good finish picture :)  And that is just what I did... I got thru this and finished way strong.


In the end all my hard work payed off.  12 weeks of hard training, early mornings, aches and pain, and hours and hours of training.

156.30 miles logged running (32:05:58)
827.45 miles logged biking (57:21:05)
30.95 miles logged swimming (17:53:18)

This is on top of the several races and events that were slipped in before I realized my training would dominate my life.  I'm still surprised that I was able to do all of this and survive a release and still be under my 8hrs.

What a way to finish my Tri Season... Now off to start Marathon Season.

No comments:

Post a Comment