Monday, July 8, 2013

LONG training days... ouch

What seemed like a good idea 10 weeks ago was definitely put to a test this past week.

I was finally able to get into Lake Michigan, which is great since all of my OW training has been in Lake Andrea, all good and dandy when I'm racing there or in pools, but not for Racine.  I had Friday off again, no way I was going to go to work after the 4th of July holiday. So Wendy, Stephanie I and I headed to the lake to go for our swim.  It was so different to swim in Lake Michigan than in the pool. It was definitely cold but in a bit I warmed up and was really moving. I still need to really work on my siting and swimming straight, never thought that could be so hard to do. I kept a great pace and got in a little over a mile in.  I was really happy.

After the swim, Stephanie I and I went on our adventure to find the Pearl Izumi Outlet store.  We lucked out and found it and got some great deals. I have a new tri outfit for race day and another pair of tri shorts.  Pretty sweet.

Sunday was now the killer of all training days.  This was our day long event, to get us ready for Racine...

40 min swim
1 hour T1
3 hour bike
1 hour T2
1.5 hour run

Sounds easy, especially with the long transition times, but it was so NOT!!!  The

The swim was probably the easiest to do. We swam out to the 1 mile mark and then back, still needing time we did a short out and back and got or 40 min and I got in 1.2 miles in... So I know I have the swim.  T1 was back at the house, we ate washed wetsuits and chatted about what route we were going to take. Somehow we got hills into our route and that was so not fun.  The heat started to raise and so did the humidity. We headed out to do the ride and it wasn't too bad, until the big hill up to Madison... OMG once I finished that I thought I was going to die. Stephanie B said I went white :(  We got back home but still short on time so I took them thru a loop in the hood and we hit our 3 hours.  T2 was a well needed one. We ate more, used the bathroom and relaxed a bit. The heat was still raising and the humidity was unbearable. We had no choice we had to do it. So at 2pm we left for the Prairie Path. This was definitely TOUGH.  We took bottles of water with us and I think I poured more of it on me than drinking it. My leg was cramping and so was my side. I wanted to maintain a 12 min pace, but we stopped too long at the water fountain out and back that it impacted those miles. But overall I did it, I got in 7 miles in 1.5 hrs. If I can keep that pace I should be good, at least I hope.  I'm just terrified over how hot its going to be during the run and making sure I'm hydrated enough.

After all was said and done, we rehydrated back at the house and took advantage of Payton's pool :)




These last 2 weeks are key. Even though I'm starting to taper it doesn't mean I can skip any of my workouts. I need to make sure I stay focused and complete what is on the calendar so I can get this done and be ready for Racine...

2 week count-down begins!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment