Saturday, March 30, 2013

13 mile training run...


According to our training schedule, this weekend was a 13-14 mile long run, at our long run pace.  Seeing that I want to do Milwaukee in a 2:30, I was to run between a 11:47 - 12:53. I thought that would be sooo doable and that I could even do better, keeping between a 11:30-11:45.  Little did  I know that the stress on me from the Release weekend and warranty week would have such an impact on my run.

Since my work week was soo bad, I had decided to take Friday off to relax and get some stuff done, like chop my hair. Yeah I needed a new do so that I could be ready for race season. It was too long to deal with and my only condition I told my stylist was that it should still fit in a pony tail... So it's chopped but look cute and I can even french braid it :)  Even with the day off, that didn't help me out for the run. The damage was already done. Lack of sleep, poor nutrition and dehydrated were just the topper of all my problems ahead of me.


So here we are, race day!  Stephanie I, Wendy, Lena, Stephanie B and myself. We're all set for this training run.  Well it was a training run for all of us but Lena, this would be her first 1/2 marathon, and Stephanie B would be pacing her, while Wendy and Stephanie I would pace together.  Me being the slower one, I was alone for the run. No to worry, I'm use to it, but at least I had my tunes to keep me going.

As always i took off too quickly, keeping up with Wendy and Stephanie I for the first mile.  I realized I would fizzle out quickly if I kept this up so I started to pull back and added a little walk.  After that I kept it at the a good pace and kept that going until about mile 8. At that point, or maybe just before, I started to feel a pull in my left calf. I slowed down and walked and it went away. I started to run again, and then again it came back and this time it hurt. I again pulled back and walked it off. Once again.. Not good, this time it was both legs and I almost fell.  I was getting cramping in both legs and it hurt. I knew it, I was already dehydrated, even thou I was drinking water but it seemed to be the side effects from my work week.  At mile 9-10 it was it... I just couldn't keep it up. Anytime I picked up my pace I would stumble and the pain was bad. I was crying and I wanted to give up. I kept talking myself into pushing thru the pain and it was grueling. I never cried during a run and this time I was crying like a baby. I was hurting bad and worrying that I would fall because my calf would tighten and my foot would drag. I didn't know what to do. I was still 3 miles from the finish. I pushed thru it and finally saw the 13 mile marker.  Only had to finish crossing the overpass and a small run thru the grass and I would be done.  I saw the girls cheering me on and I was hurting that for the first time I started to ball after I crossed the finish line.  I just lost it and the pain was still there.

Even thou I finished and I did PR (2:46), I was so disappointed with myself because I let my job affect my training.  I just hope that I can get over this and move forward with my training and meet my meet all my goals for this race season.

No comments:

Post a Comment