Monday, March 18, 2013

I'm done with this cold weather...

I'm really getting fed up with this cold weather. I think last year's 80's in March spoiled us, but really, 30's with 17+ mph winds are really not fun.

Saturday's long run was suppose to be 11-12 miles. So we all trekked to the Prairie Path and set out at 7 am for a 30 min out and back, so we can grab the 8 am group. It wasn't too bad, I tried to keep my pace between 11:30 and 11:45, and I did pretty well. I walked a little more than I thought but my calf was tight and my feet hurt. I really think I'm due for some new shoes.  When we got back to the gazebo, we fueled up and had something to drink and took off west, hoping for less much on the trail.  I didn't think when I went out on that leg, as we needed to do 3 miles out and then back, that I didn't bring my fuel belt with me and boy did I BONK out!  Mile 5-7 were right on pace, actually mile 7 was about a 11:08 pace so I was happy. Then on mile 8 I started to feel it, I was starting to drag. I made it to the turn about and headed back to the gazebo. Stephanie I was with me for this leg and we were both feeling it.  We walked more than we should've but we couldn't really help it.  I know I had to do 11-12 but I only got in 10.91... that's close enough, especially since I kept a good pace... at least that is what I keep telling myself.

Saturday Morning Long Run - Prairie Path by sandrade70 at Garmin Connect - Details

Today's team run was a tempo run for 20 minutes around our 1/2 mile loop.  It was starting to get cold as we started the run and the winds were starting to pick up.  I had given Coach Dave my expectations for my 1/2 in May, he told me that I should look to be around a 10:20ish pace, in actuallity it was more of a 10:30-10:50 pace.  My tempo run was right on it.  I thought the whole time i was suppose to be a 10:20 so I pushed it in the last loop, dropping from 10:44 pace to a 10:38 pace. I pushed it so hard that I did puke, but I didn't let that stop me and i finished my tempo and headed back to the store.  I thought I ran slower on the return but when I look at my stats on my Garmin, I actually went faster.

Winter Runners by sandrade70 at Garmin Connect - Details

I will be sooo happy when the weather finally calms down and we don't have to worry about wearing so many layers or if it's going to start to snow in mid run, like it did on Saturday.

On another plus note for tonight... swim was cancelled due to the pool having issues, so I got to go home early and relax.  Don't get me wrong, I love swimming but Monday's are tough, weight training at lunch, then running and swimming in the evening... Skipping one won't kill my training :)

No comments:

Post a Comment