Monday, March 3, 2014

Week 15 - where has the time gone

I can't believe I'm over a 1/3 of the way done with this training program... What's more scary is that I'm more than a 1/3 of the way closer to Boulder. I'm finally feeling like I'm getting into a groove of things with my training, but my nutrition still has a way to go. I've finally "sucked it up" and accepted that I will have to spend long hours/runs on the treadmill, thanks to the wonderful weather Mother Nature is sending us. But it's weird, I'm getting comfortable on the dreadmill, that I'm just hoping this will actually make me stronger when i get out on the road.

I'm still concerned with my biking. I just don't feel like I'm getting what i should be getting out of my trainer at home. So i broke down this weekend and went out to get the Wahoo Kickr.  With what I spent on it I'm hoping it gives me the hill and resistance workouts I'm really needing.

I finally started to add in swimming to my regimine. I go 2-3 days a week. I bought a freestyle snorkel with a cardio cap to help simulate altitude. I even found a good FB page "Tri Swim Coach 21-Day Challenge" that puts out new challenges each month and that has really got me going on my swims. I'm trying to improve my TT (Time Trial) for a 1650m swim (1 mile). I just started week 3 Day 1 today and I'm finding that my major issue with my swim is the ability to pace myself in a long swim. For last week's 100 repeats I was keeping 1:35-1:40 100m pace, but for these 500's I either went out too fast and then slowed down too much in the middle or I would have too much left in the take after. How do you pace yourself in a swim??? I mean when I run/bike I can watch my Garmin and make adjustments as needed. Even though I wear my Garmin while I swim, checking my pace is not that easy to do.

Things for the trip are starting to come together too. The house is paid off, now just need to email out and let everyone know how much they each owe. Flights are booked and paid (thank to my SW miles Rich and I each only paid $5 for our flight). Due to a delay in planning the flights, Christin and Dave don't have a good direct flight so they will be coming thru Chicago and I'll meet up with Christin and fly in with her, and then Dave will go with Rich. And the car is rented. Christin and I are also starting to look at things to do out there and found a few fun stuff, then lots of micro brewerys for them since I won't be drinking until after the race. Now only to get my training and diet in order, then I should be right on track.

I'm still quite nervous and I just hope I finish. I need keep focusing on my weak areas and just make sure I don't ignore my strengths. Bad part is right now I don't feel like I'm strong in any discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment