Monday, June 10, 2013

It could only happen to me... WHY ME!!!

Everyone hits a wall now and then, and I did just recently after training/racing for over 28 days straight without a day off.  This past week I took time to myself and relaxed on Wednesday and Friday, with all intentions that I would really step it up on the days that I did train.  We even planned for our first open water swim on Saturday up at Lake Andrea, followed by our long run, which we wanted to do along the Olympic course...

So on Saturday we all got up early and headed off to Pleasant Prairie for our swim/run.  I've been finding that I had trouble swimming with a full sleeve suit.  My arms were tight and I didn't get much rotation.  So I decided to go for a sleeveless and see how that was.  Besides being cold to start, I finally warmed up and was able to really swim.  My arms were able to move more and I felt very comfortable.  We swam out and back and I kept a good pace.  Just a few freak-outs from the seaweed touching my face but soon that passed.

The swim was a success, now off to a run... No problem at all, lets change and hit the road for a run.  The run started out a little tough. My legs had trouble moving at first, felt about as bad as when we get off the bike, but we pushed thru it.  We decided to follow the Olympic route we will be running in 2 weeks, a 10k not bad and doable... Ya think.  So after we turned into the gravel path it was all downhill from there.  The gravel turned out to be large grade loose gravel which made it really hard to keep your footing. I did good to start, but the one second of me looking away from the ground that I managed to spin and fall.  I twisted my right ankle, OMG it hurt so bad.  I ended up landing on the ground on my ass with my back to the group, so I really spun around bad.  I was crying so much, but it wasn't because of the pain, but it was because I was 2 weeks out from my Olympic and 6 weeks out from Racine.  How could this be happening to me, not now!!!!
 

The gang stuck with me until I was able to stand up. I told Wendy and Lou to go finish there run but be careful. Stephanie I stuck with me and walked with me. I was afraid to stop moving, to take off my shoe, because I can see it swelling. I was so terrified on what I did and how it would affect my training. Stephanie was great, she stuck with me and even opted not to run to keep me company. I felt bad she didn't get her training in but it was great to have her by my side... I don't know what I'd do without my team.

After the run was completed, Stephanie, Wendy and I went off to town to grab some lunch and walk around the farmers market.  It turned out to be a good day, if you didn't think about the throbbing foot :)  Brunch was at "Franks Place" and it was AWESOME, none of us were able to finish up our food.






Sunday turned out to be interesting as we had a long ride schedule... How was I going to do this with my foot totally swollen and my toes looking like stuffed sausages.  I was shocked that the 53 mile bike ride actually helped. I couldn't push it too hard, and I couldn't get off my saddle but I kept a good pace and after the ride my foot was no longer swollen but the bruising started up.

Now I just need to try to take it easy and hope that I didn't make too much damage and that I am able to keep up with my training.  Got an appt with Dr. Kelly to have it looked at and praying for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment