Sunday, May 19, 2013

2 more weeks down...

Well I haven't posted in 2 weeks so here is a run-down of what's been going on.

Well after coming off of the Wisconsin Half, I finally got to feeling better and just kept on schedule with my training. My recovery ride was along Salt Creek and that was a good change of pace. Some hills (although Coach Dave doesn't call these hills) and twists and turns. I went easy but had some fun trying out the aerobars and working on my leaning.  I'm definitely feeling better in my rides as I spend more time in my saddle. The Tuesday night ride I again hit the trail but then Coach told me of a loop with a little more hills so I tried it.  Damn that hurt, the last hill was a bit of a challenge but I made it.  This is definitely a loop I want to repeat until I can find no trouble on that last hill.  Now on to the runs... Coach made us walk on Monday night so that was kind of our recovery run.  On Wednesday I did my easy run alone.  I felt GREAT!! I didn't know what got into me but damn my pass was pretty quick.  A year ago, where I fought to get a 12:45 pace this year I'm keeping an 11-11:30 pace pretty easily, and sometimes I'm even faster.  I don't know why but I definitely can keep my pace up and I'm loving it.  When I went out on the run, I thought I had to do a negative split, so I tried for that and I did great, I took a lot of time off my run.

The weekend had our schedule to be normal long runs/bikes practicing nutrition and negative splits. But I had to mix it up a bit, since Rich and I had a fun ride on Saturday.  We did the Ride The Rock family ride, which was an adventure I might say.  A 16 mile loop on paths, thru neighborhoods and the I&M Canal.  Since I needed time in the saddle, we went for 2 loops. Whenever I had the chance to practice my aerobars, I took it and settled in to the bars and damn did I fly. The only part that kind of scared me was riding on the I&M Canal as it was crushed gravel, but on the second loop I felt better and was able to get my speed up.  I'm realizing everyday I ride that I'm getting more and more comfortable... now if only I could stand up on the bike... that still freaks me out.




Week 3 of training was much of the same, but adding in some Brick workouts since we had Leaning Tower Tri that weekend. I'm realizing as i train and race that my run and swim are definitely my strong points, but my bike, well that REALLY needs work.  It scares me that I'm not as strong as I wish I could be or as anyone else in my team.  I know I'm being hard on myself and I have improved since last year, but still, why can't I get my cadence up and why can't I ride while off my saddle.

Leaning Tower Tri was a total success for me, but I know I still need to work on it.  From last year, I had improved A LOT!!!

Last year my times were:
Swim 9:19.30
T1 1:55.75
Bike 48:04.15 14.0 mph
T2 1:33.75
Run 41:56.95 13:32/M
Total - 1:42:49.90

This year I dropped almost 19 minutes from my time :)
Swim 8:35
T1 2:15
Bike 37:39
T2 1:11
Run 33:44
Total 1:23:22

I don't know what happened with my T1 that it was almost 20 seconds slower than last year, but I do know they moved the mats to before the mulch area so who knows what that really means. But overall I was REALLY REALLY happy. It was great to have everyone to train and race with and having Coach, Wendy, Stephanie I and David there to cheer us on was great.


That night we all met up at Dairy Queen to celebrate and talk with Coach. He's kind of scaring me because I'm not getting enough time in the saddle... I don't know what to do, this month is a tough month cuz of races and all but now I need to figure out what I can do to get more time on the bike and get some miles in while working on nutrition and hydration... UGH, I'm getting nervous.

9 more weeks to go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment